BasicMicroUK - Forums

www.basicmicro.co.uk
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:20 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Basic Micro Studio VERIFYLOAD errors
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:05 pm 
New User

I have just acquired the Bot Board II with BASIC Atom Pro 28 pin.
When I attempt to 'Program' the Bot Board using Basic Micro Studio I get intermittent errors
This is using Com1 which is a serial rs232 (9 pin connector).

Connection lost to processor: VERIFYLOAD fefe(ff:aa)
Connection lost to processor: VERIFYLOAD f866(ee:cc)
Sometimes I get this error too:
==========
Error connecting to processor,
The operation completed successfully.
==========

This happens on two separate computers using two different serial cables.
What's strange is it did program one time.

I am running the test program from the lynxmotion web site tutorial as follows:

---------------------
;The compiler will ignore any commands
;or text after a ; or '

x var word

start

;this will sound 3 ascending beeps
sound 9,[150\2500, 150\3000, 150\3500]
;pause for one second
pause 1000
;add one to the count
x = x + 1
;sends the x back to the computer
serout s_out,i9600,[DEC x, 13]

;repeat
goto start
--------------------

Adjusting the Rest Hold Time in the Advanced comm setting do not help with this issue at all. I have tried this on 2 different lap top Dell precision M65 computers, with 2 different serial cables. I know the serial cables are good as I can program other devices Amtel, PIC, AVR, etc. with no problems.

This seems like a software issue to me. But I did look at the Atom Basic Pro 28 and found that there is a flaky looking solder connection on pin 21. I checked this pin in the circuit drawings and it seems that this should have no impact on programming/verifying, but it could have problems with the wireless adapter.

I have managed a work around for this problem.
I am using USB to Serial converter which works with out error. When I use this converter the progress bar when programming advances at a very much slower rate then when I 'program' using the rs232 serial port. This leads me to believe that this is has something to do with the programming part of the IDE software package. I have tried tweaking different values in the Advanced comm settings, but the only difference it makes is I get a 'Unable to connect' type error if I make Reset Hold Time to small or too large.

Is it possible to set the programming baud rate in Basic Micro Studio?

I am running windows XP Professional Version 2002 service pack 3 on 2 different Dell Precision M65 Laptops.
One Laptop I am connecting to the serial port directly in the back of the computer.
The other Laptop is Docked and the so the serial is connected to the docking station.
The Laptop processor is a dual core T7200 @ 2.00 GHz.
According to Dell website my Serial Driver is the latest up to date.

Thanks for your time.

Post subject: Re: Basic Micro Studio VERIFYLOAD errors
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:52 pm 
Site Admin

Basically any VERIFYLOAD error is a communications issue. The verifyload error happens when verifying data that was written to RAM. This indicates a bad serial connection usually. Check that your module is socketed well and nothing is shorting out any of the pins. Also check your Serial cable. They all eventually will fail. Mostly because they are moved around causing a wire inside them to eventually break. Intermittent failures are the first sign of this. If after replacing the serial cable you still have intermittent problems it may be a problem in the Bot board or at the module socket itself.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:32 pm 
New User

I don't think my problem is with either of the serial cables I use. They work with other programming environments like PIC, AVR, and Arduino. And I use the same serial cable in my work around using the usb to serial converter.

I have been able to get this to work with on a desk top computer with out any issue as well.

When I use the usb to serial converter on my laptop the progress bar when programming advances at a very much slower rate then when I 'program' using the rs232 serial port. This leads me to believe that this is has something to do with the programming part of the IDE software package. Does the programing serial control rely on MicroSoft shared library, or extensions?

Personally I doubt there is any thing wrong with the bot II board, because for programming the Atom, there are only wires and connectors (Serial connector to socket). Please correct me if I am mistaken. I inspected the bot board soldering and connectors, they look good to me. But I suppose there could be something wrong with the Basic Atom Pro. It is seated well in the bot board socket. I double check the mechanical connection using a X8 micro scope.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:50 pm 
Site Admin

Sorry but that isn't the case. On either point. Just because some software works with a cable doesn't mean all the cables pins function properly. Not all software uses the RTS or DTR pins. We do. So you can't assume that. Also USB 2 serial adapters have a latency value. When they change communications direction they have a timeout period. For example the FTDI based adapters default to 16ms. This can be changed in the properties of the adapter in device manager. However this latency causes a significantly slower transfer of the data from the PC to the chip because we use a send 1 byte,receive 1 byte write/verify system. This means after every byte sent the USB waits to timeout before letting us receive the one byte back. If the latency is high(like the FTDI 16ms default) the transfer will be very slow. If you have a USB adapter that has a hard wired latency there is nothing you can do to fix it. If it can be changed then change it to the lowest value you can get.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:11 am 
New User

I just tried with another brand new serial cable and the error persists. What are the chances that three serial cables are all going to have the same problem?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:00 pm 
Site Admin

You are able to use this on a desktop computer.
You aren't able to use this on a laptop.

The module is working. So its not a module problem. That means the problem is on the laptop. I always assume a bad serial cable first because they do fail. I've gone through more than 10 personal cables in 20 years. If its not the cable then that only leaves the laptop. Im sorry to say there there have been problems with laptops in the past that were specific to the laptop but a workaround was never found(other than to move to a USB to serial adapter.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:02 am 
New User

Does the programing serial control rely on MicroSoft shared libraries, or extensions? Or is all of the serial control maintained by Basic Micro Studio.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:37 pm 
Site Admin

Serial communications are all default microsoft APIs. There is nothing fancy going on. If its not working on the laptop but it works on a PC and you are sure its not the serial cable then the problem is in the laptop serial port hardware/drivers. It may be a timing problem or a speed problem. The verify data is sent back with no delays. If the laptops serial port can't buffer the data fast enough it will drop a byte which will cause a veirfy error.