BasicMicroUK - Forums

www.basicmicro.co.uk
It is currently Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:25 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Basic Micro: Orion Shield
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:47 pm 
Master

Like I mentioned in the thread about the Nomad Shield, I also purchased the Orion shield, which is the main one that I plan to use with the DaVinci board.
Just started to test this board as well, along with some libraries from Basic Micro. The fun thing about this Shield, is it almost like having an Arc32 as your shield. The main differences is the Arc32 has 32 IO pins that can be used for servos whereas this shield has 24, plus 8 other IO pins that are controlled by the underlying Arduino.

First tests confirmed that this shield also has some of the same components as the Nomad, in particular:
The shield has the features on these Arduino pins:
2 - Button A
3 - Sound
4 - Button B
A0 - Led A
A1 - Led B

Next test was to see if I could use Basic Micro Studio to reprogram the H8 processor on the shield. My first attempts failed to connect. So far the only way I have succeeded was to remove the Atmega328 from it's socket and then plug the Shield back in. Doing this I was able to get the program to download. Next up is to make some minor mods to the standard code and download it and then start to play with Servos!

Nathan: is this the main way to update the code? I tried some other things but so far this is the only thing that worked.

Kurt

Post subject: Re: Basic Micro: Orion Shield
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:01 pm 
Master

Quick Update: We resolved the issue with needing to remove Atmega processor. I can now program both chips with out having to remove either...

Also Now have a simple Servo Sweep sketch...

So now I am going to try it out in one of my Hex robots :D

Kurt

Post subject: Re: Basic Micro: Orion Shield
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:53 pm 
Master

Not sure if anyone is Interested, but have made some progress on getting it to work with one of my Hex robots. Still lots to do as I can move at lot of the Arduino code over to have the Orion (H8) do the work...

I did a Quick and Dirty video showing that it is now up and running!

Kurt