BasicMicroUK - Forums

www.basicmicro.co.uk
It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:20 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: ARC32 and Lynxmotion Biped code - compatible ?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:59 pm 
Guru

Nathan, that is great thanks.

I am trying to connect a small speaker (Radio shack 8 ohms mini) to the ARC32. Should the 2 connections be ground and signal ? I think that those are the correct pins.
Would a speaker be connected to a servo header or to a sensor header (the diff being I have one bank of pins at 5V as recommended by you just for sensors and the other 3 are currently at Supply levels for servos).

Regards
Gopal

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:02 pm 
Master

Yep that is what I have done, I just wire it up to a signal pin and ground. It has worked OK and I get some sound. Not as loud as a BB2 that has a small amplification circuit and the like, but good enough for me. Note: I often put a piece of tape over the speaker on things like BB2, to make it quieter...

Note: I have fried one speaker over the last couple of years? Why that one? I don't know. But it has worked just fine on my Arc32 Phoenix for a couple of years. My T-Hex has one as well, but I am using a speaker from Digi-key instead. This is more or less the same speaker that is on the BB2...

Kurt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:52 pm 
Guru

KurtEck wrote:
Yep that is what I have done, I just wire it up to a signal pin and ground. It has worked OK and I get some sound. Not as loud as a BB2 that has a small amplification circuit and the like, but good enough for me. Note: I often put a piece of tape over the speaker on things like BB2, to make it quieter...

Note: I have fried one speaker over the last couple of years? Why that one? I don't know. But it has worked just fine on my Arc32 Phoenix for a couple of years. My T-Hex has one as well, but I am using a speaker from Digi-key instead. This is more or less the same speaker that is on the BB2...

Kurt

Thanks Kurt! I will try this. Is the frying due to too much current going thru may be ?

I seee your biped but one thing beats me still - where do you hide the batteries ? I have the slim and fat 6V packs from Lynxmotion but with the Torso A kit in place there seems no place to put these except may be tie wrap them to the torso chest (as the arc32 is in the carrier in the back). Any ideas ?

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:48 pm 
Site Admin

A trick to get your speakers louder is to put a small cap(.1uf I think) in series with the signal line and the speaker.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:07 pm 
Guru

Acidtech wrote:
A trick to get your speakers louder is to put a small cap(.1uf I think) in series with the signal line and the speaker.

Thanks Nathan - I have the Radioshack 8 Ohms mini speaker (273-0092) but was wondering, due to the size limitations on the biped frame can I use the tiny speakers from common earbud or over the ear headphones ? I have quite a few of these.

Gopal

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:47 pm 
Guru

I now have the auto walk code from lynxmotion modified to run on my biped.

One change was to use the torso kit so now the legs are connected to servos on the torso - at the hips with servos in the torso.

I have modified the offset program to adjust all the servos including the torso hip servos and the robot looks OK at rest.

When I load the auto walk program, the robot is doing walking moves BUT the hip servos (code not modified to do anything with these) move due to the legs. This messes up the positions of the legs pretty badly.

My question - how do I keep the torso hip servos from moving for now - can I send a "set torso hip servos to zero" request ? I would like them to go back to the "neutral" position everytime they get out of whack - neutral being the offset position that was set initially. Is there a simple command to send a servo to its original offset - kind of like holding a position ?

I may add accel or gyro code later once I have this walking reliably - then I can "balance" the hips but for now if anyone can give me a simple solution that would be great.

Right now I am using the auto walk code with just the mods for steps per degree.

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:39 pm 
Master

As I mentioned before, my T-Hex which currenty has an Arc32 is using one of these:
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSea ... 02-1155-nd
With these, I simply take a servo extension wire and jamb the 2 leads into a servo extension and I am done.

Nathan, you are probably right about a capacitor, but I have been lazy and have only lost 1 speaker in a couple of years...

Kurt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:30 am 
Site Admin

Are the 2 hip servos just idle(not actively holding apoisiton). If that is the case then just use an hservo command to set them to a particular position(eg centered) and they will hold as long as the arc32 is sending pulses.

I use the little speakers like the one Kurt linked to. I've never tried using the little earbud speakers. I don't know if you could actually hear them from any distance.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:01 am 
Guru

Kurt - thanks for the speaker advice.

Nathan - yes the hip servos are at this time doing nothing so I will add a HSERVO - probably everywhere when the move sub is called.

Should the HSERVO refer to "0" setting ? Would that take it to the offset position ? I am still learning about the offset and servo positions in general.

Regards

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:58 pm 
Site Admin

If you aren't moving the hip servos you can just had an hservo at the begining of your program that sets the servo positions. Hservo just tells the backend servo pulse generator what pulses to send to a servo. It then does all the work behind the scenes to send the pulses every 20ms so using hservo multiple times to tell the servos to keep the same position would just be a waste of code space and processing time.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:22 pm 
Guru

Thanks Nathan, I will do that. If there is some documentation that gives such guidelines it will be nice.
Regards

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:22 pm 
Site Admin

Kurt is correct, the enablehservo isn't required anymore. Hoever it won't hurt if it is left in. It will be treated as an unused label in that case.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:24 pm 
Guru

Hi Nathan , Kurt!

Progressing on my biped - I was able to get the torso hip servos to stay in place.
I have updated the steps constant also (based on Kurt's suggestion).

I modified the Auto Walk program from Lynxmotion site - not much - just the sound commands to use a name insted of Pin 9 as I do not have a speaker wired for it.

The biped goes thru the motions - although the angles probably are not very fine as it bends back quite a bit - and this can be seen in the HERSOUTs I have added.

The strange thing is after the final command for Rest the robot does not stop moving - the leg servos start jerk movements eventually ending in the ankles turned inside.

I am unable to figure out why this is happenind - logically the robot should start moving after one cycle of walking.

Any ideas ? suggestions ? Advice ? I have attached the code file.
Thanks!

Attachments:
auto-walk-gi.bas [13.82 KiB]
Downloaded 305 times

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:19 pm 
Guru

Seems like there is no response to my post.

Anyway, searching through Lynxmotion I came across some reference to ARC32 and HSERVO not liking the end command and a recommendation to put a dummy loop.

I did this and the spasmodic twitches have stopped.

So I am thinking probably the ARC32 or the code or something else is buggy - was it a big mistake to buy the ARC32 ?

There is not much information to go by and the forum support does not help faster development.

Thanks
Gopal

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:55 am 
Master

Sorry, I am not up on the basic micro website that often. I am more likely up on the Lynxmotion forums. Yes I have also seen that if a program does an end or stop, Hsero does not work properly...

The Arc32 is a nice board, but I am personally not currently doing much with them right now. Also i do not work very much on bipeds. The only one i have is a brat, currently controlled by a botboardduino (arduino compatible). But I still try to help out as best I can.

Kurt

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next