BasicMicroUK - Forums

www.basicmicro.co.uk
It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 4:36 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: display video clips
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:09 pm 
Citizen

Has anyone attempted to display video clips controlled by an Atom? Maybe something that uses external memory and displayed using the atoms ntsc output? I have a robot and wanted it to be able to display short movie clips. Maybe a system to control an external video player by the atom? I was thinking of using my ipod, but the interface looked pretty complicated.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
-Stampee

Post subject: Re: display video clips
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:13 pm 
Site Admin

Not a chance. The ntsc output from the Atom is text and black and white. You need something alot more powerful to do video. It isn't a passthrough like a genlock. Its just raw low rest on/offs to display text(or tile based games).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:57 pm 
Citizen

Nathan: Thank you. I was thinking more along the lines of the atom controlling a seperate video processor or device. I have seen some articles on using an arduino to control an ipod, but I am not into C code. In regards to my other post on NTSC, I hope not to confuse you. I am thinking of two seperate items. the atom running very simple game code for kids, and also the atom controlling a seperate video processor to display short movie clips. I can plug in my ipod to the video out, and run a long movie, but I have no interaction from the robot, and cant easily control short clips if I just plugged in an ipod without being able to control it as well.
-Stampee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:38 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, you could control an external device that actually plays the video. That is probably going to be done with a serial conenction or simple logic levels on I/O pins. It's alot harder to generate video or modify video on the fly.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:58 am 
Master

Greetings,

This may be what you are looking for: http://www.4dsystems.com.au/products.php

This company sells serial controlled LCD displays which have a speaker, media card reader, I/O lines and some models include a touch screen. I believe that Sparkfun carries a limited line of their products including their new 4.3" touch LDC for $140. They sell smaller versions for around $50. Their documents claims that you can load a movie/graphic on memory card and write a script which can display the media to the LCD I believe via a serial command (I have not personally used that function of the display yet).

I also have some videos from youtube linked from my blogspot which is thenerdbench.blogspot.com (the videos are from 4D Systems)

Again...may be what you are looking for...take a look at the videos.

Nathan: I plan to "add pages" to my blogspot which feature some basic projects using the BasicMicro Nanos. I really enjoy working with the Nanos and have all sorts of future projects that I want to use them in!

Thanks-Brian

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:01 pm 
Citizen

Brian: Thanks a lot.
-Stampee