BasicMicroUK - Forums

www.basicmicro.co.uk
It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:00 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Error Writting: 0 with Basic Micro Studio
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 10:07 pm 
Citizen

I have a variety of older atom modules. Some of them 'OEM ATOM' boards with a RS232 port on it and a 28 pin 'slim' atom chip (see below). Basic Micro Studio identifies it as a BA24. When I go to program it, it compiles and then I get a Error Writing: 0

I have no problem programming them with Atom IDE 2.2. I don't have any problem programming a standard Atom on a Mini-AAB serial board with Basic Micro Studio, so I know it's working fine with my serial port.

Note: The module pictured below does not have a voltage regulator on it, and is only for identification purposes. The ones in question are powered.

Any ideas?

Attachments:
atom.jpg
atom.jpg [ 37.84 KiB | Viewed 4666 times ]

Post subject: Re: Error Writting: 0 with Basic Micro Studio
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 4:54 am 
Master

This is a 28 pin Atom Interpreter chip. Nowadays this is known as the Nano28X. If Studio IDs it as a BA24, then you know you have a problem, because a BA24 is an Atom module, with 24 pins. Sounds like an ID problem on Studio's part.

Yeah, problem confirmed. I actually have a couple of these. This uses the "A" version processor, ignore the difference. The upshot is, I'm AMAZED that Studio even found it! But, if it can find it, you'd think it would program it as well. Then again, being one of the first interpreter chips out the door, it might not have an ID that Studio recognizes? Maybe Studio defaults to BA24 if the ID is unrecognizable?
These are rare birds, so BMicro may have given these short shrift in the testing.
Take care.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 1:35 pm 
Citizen

Thanks for confirming. It's not the end of the world since I can still use IDE on them. It's been a while since I've been over here (lost my old forum ID), and so when I saw that Studio was 'supposed' to work with every Atom, I installed it and was immediately greeted with that error. Still, it would be nice if it got fixed so I don't have to switch back and forth. I have several of these modules and use them a lot.

Post subject: Re: Error Writing: 0 with Basic Micro Studio
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 2:53 pm 
Master

FYI - I pulled out my old Atom 28, which I have also mentioned in a few previous threads and Studio does not recognize it. Then I remembered, that I was using my BAFO USB to serial adapter (Prolific chip set and suggested long ago by AcidTech). This adapter programs all of the BAPS probably 2-3 times faster than FTDI based adapters.

But I then pulled out an FTDI based one that I have and plugged it in and then Studio could recognize and program my old BA28. Probably some type of timing issue. But I believe the old IDE worked great with the BAFO as well.

So you may want to look at what adapter you are using to program your old chips, if it is one based on Prolific, you may want to find an FTDI based one.

Kurt

Post subject: Re: Error Writing: 0 with Basic Micro Studio
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 3:42 pm 
Citizen

KurtEck wrote:
So you may want to look at what adapter you are using to program your old chips, if it is one based on Prolific, you may want to find an FTDI based one.

The serial port I am using is not a USB adapter, but one built into my laptop. I tried a Edgeport (Digi) USB adapter with the same results. Not sure what chipset is used on the Edgeport, but it has worked on other devices where some UBS adapters would not.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 8:17 pm 
Citizen

I sent BM support an e-mail and was told to use IDE. And as a FYI, they said the Nano 28X won't work in the Atom OEM board.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 5:59 pm 
Site Admin

The Atom OEM board I beleive used the Atom24 chip firmware. It has been a very long time since we sold those so I can't be sure. The Nano 28X uses the Atom28 chip firmware. This means the pinouts do not match, which is why Nano28X chips don't work in the OEM boards.