BasicMicroUK - Forums

www.basicmicro.co.uk
It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:59 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Nunchucks
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 4:38 am 
Master

I have the nunchucks, but don't want to cut the ends off :lol: Some of the docs I see on the it say that it wants an I2C speed of 400K, and Sparkfuns adapter are out of stock...

Kurt

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 6:18 pm 
Site Admin

And I read elsewhere it works fine at 50kbps too so speed really shouldn't be an issue. I also see contradicting info on whether running at 5v is safe or not so be carefull.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:36 pm 
Citizen

Back from vacation.

The interface speed I am using with the Picaxe is 100,000 or slow. The Picaxe is able to communicate with the I2C device at both high speed (400,000) and low speed (100,000) through code. Through code, mine is set for slow.

There is conflicting reports on the Nunchucks running with 5V. But the worst that I have seen is that it may shorten the life of the device. I have tested mine with 5v for about 5 hrs now with no problem. I even reversed polarity once, and it still works. I do suspect that the higher voltage affects the accuracy of the joystick readings. They seem to read less than I anticipated when using 3.3v. I have not tried to power the Nunchucks with 3.3V.

I do use pull up resistors. Though I have been able to run the Picaxe without them.

I am having a bit of a problem believing the Picaxe runs faster than the Nano 28x. The Picaxe I am using is a 28x2. I clock it with a 16 mhz xtal. In order for the I2C commands to operate correctly, I tell the chip, through code to run at 8 mhz. The Nano 28x is clocked at 20mhz. I would think that the Nano would run circles around the Picaxe.

If I can answer any more questions, please ask.

As always, thanks for your assistance.

Jim