BasicMicroUK - Forums

www.basicmicro.co.uk
It is currently Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:48 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Basic & PIC microcontrollers
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:50 am 
New User

New to this forum. Retired. New hobby-PICs. Investigating PICBasic Pro and MBasic. Bought
3 books. Which forum topic page is related to PICs? I have the latest MPLAB IDE and an ICD2.
Undoubtedly I'm going to have "problems". Having this forum as a possible "problem" solving
back-up will be a good thing. I am willing to accept any advice you folks can pass on to a PIC rookie?
w harris Riverside California USA

Post subject: Re: Basic & PIC microcontrollers
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:01 am 
Master

Welcome to the forums. Good man, you chose PICs. These are easily the most supported processors for hobbyists AT THE MOMENT, with the Arduino's Atmega processor coming up fast from behind.

For openers, I recommend you forget those two compilers you mention and start learning with BasicMicro's Nano boot-loading chips. You can literally start running programs with a Nano18, a breadboard, a DC adapter, a switch and a handful of electronic components. You can get the skinny on how to do that here: http://blog.basicmicro.com/blog/category/kenjj/bbnano18/
The downside of this way is, how do you know where the problem is when something goes bust-o? Did you misswire something on the breadboard? Is the code bad? Did the magic smoke leave the Nano? This is why it pays now to spend now and get a development system board, which ensures the problem isn't in the wiring (although you CAN run a jumper wire to the wrong place!).

The beauty of a bootloader processor is, all you need is a USB port to program it with, and that's already built into the PC you're writing code on! When you think your latest code is ready to test, you simply press the "Program" button and Studio (the Nano compiler) takes care of all the programming foo-for-all for you! And the compiler is FREE!!, with a great set of commands, functions and math capability not generally available even in some expensive compilers (unless you pay seperate for a math option!).

Keep the faith. Take care.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:07 pm 
Site Admin

Also, you want a really cheap way to get started we'll be release the Nano8 very soon.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:47 pm 
Citizen

For openers, I recommend you forget those two compilers you mention and start learning with BasicMicro's Nano boot-loading chips. You can literally start running programs with a Nano18,Nano 8, a breadboard, a DC adapter,a switch and a handful of electronic components.

The downside of this way is, how do you know where the problem is when something goes bust-o? Did you misswire something on the breadboard? Is the code bad? Did the magic smoke leave the Nano? This is why it pays now to spend now and get a development system board, which ensures the problem isn't in the wiring (although you CAN run a jumper wire to the wrong place!).

The beauty of a bootloader processor is, all you need is a USB port to program it with, and that's already built into the PC you're writing code on! When you think your latest code is ready to test, you simply press the "Program" button and Studio (the Nano compiler) takes care of all the programming foo-for-all for you! And the compiler is FREE!!

This was GREAT advice. I've been away from this sort of thing for lots of years (uhmmm, decades :roll: ) now, but am having a ball coming back up to speed with the NANO. (And based on your suggestion!)

-Dave