PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:53 pm 
Master

Trying to use freqout on pin 0 of the Atom

main:

freqout p0, 570, 1000
serout S_out, i9600, ["passed", 13]
pause 5000

goto main

This generates an everlasting tone. If the duration is changed to anything below this a small blip is all that happens.

Any suggestions?

Post subject: Re: freqout freakout
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:59 am 
Master

Hello, Mike. I tried your code out using a RevD Atom28-M module with Studio_15. If this doesn't match what you've got, let me know, but be aware, BMicro no longer supports compilers prior to Studio.

First I discovered the new (unreleased) Atom/Pro manual says the duration (570 in your code) is in MICROseconds on the Atom/Nano, not milliseconds as in olden times. So, you'd think adding three zeros (make it 570000) would make it work right.
Wrong-oh!
The Freqout command is broke. Big time. Instead of a 1000 Hz signal out, it "accordions" on my o-scope trace, and the builtin frequency counter says it is seeing a 22.4x KHz signal. This is the average, the signal isn't stable. Then I noticed the signal only lasted about half a second. So I added another zero to the duration (now 570000000) and got something like five seconds of signal before a one second pause of no output. But the frequency is too high to use for audible purposes.
I changed the frequency value from 1000 to 1. And got a 60 KHz signal, but the signal appeared stable. OK, going lower in value doesn't work, so I tried 3000. Now I had an unstable output averaging at 46 KHz. None of these signals is audible, so I give up.
I tried this with an Atom Pro28-M by the way and had the same goofy results, despite changing the duration value back to 570, as the Pro uses milliseconds for this. The output is unstable and frequencies are unusable.

The notes in the manual suggest using a SOUND command if all you want is a simple sound out without a filter. The Freqout command uses a simple RC filter to arrive at something like a sine wave. We can probably make do without a filter in either situation. OK, so try SOUND. Like Freqout, the duration is in microseconds on the Atom, and is a 32 bit range (huge!).

I'll report this to the programmer. He'll fix it, merge it with any other bug fixes done so far, and eventually we'll have Studio_16.
Later!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:40 am 
Master

Greetings, skates. I just finished reading an email from acidtech, BMicro's resident programming genuis. I'll just paste it here:
Quote:
I just rewrote the FREQOUT command (for Atom) and fixed several issues with it and made the on and off times simpler. No matter what though the freqout command outputs high frequency pulses that have to be filtered to get the waveforms. A simple cap/resistor filter works fairly well (with the fixed version) but will still leave jagged edges on the sine wave forms. I'll be releasing a new beta this week that has the fixed FREQOUT and a list of command changes. Basically I made about 10 commands match the AtomPro syntax/timings and made one AtomPro command match the Atom timings. I'll post the changes when I make the new release available.

And there you have it. Expect a new Studio real soon and a guide as to what got fixed and/or changed and/or matched.
Later!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:13 am 
Master

Once again thanks.

Now the sound command is not working the way expected. Running the same code using 500000
ote. I get the tone then while the rest of the code runs I get a higher tone. Every so often it works until power is cycled.

I also attempted this using the spkr on Nano Dev board and Nano 28 and with this All I get is a blip.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:54 pm 
Master

Updated to the new Studio. Now the simple programs work. But when I add freqout to my main program it seems to have a negative affect on the hardware uart. Even just one freqout anywhere in the program and I start to get garbage from the uart. Comment it out and everything works fine.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:30 am 
Master

*sigh* The programmer giveth and the programmer taketh away...
Or the limited resources for clocks and/or timers in the PIC mean this was going to happen. :(

And now you should check out his latest post:
http://forums.basicmicro.net/viewtopic.php?f=481&t=9219&sid=8dac15e0784e77ddf1d7997058813528
He announces Studio_16. Did you use that or Studio_15? If using Studio_15, change to Studio_16 and try again. Read the post as he announces which units (clocks, 0.5us, etc) he's using for timing in several commands. Don't forget to remove the old Studio using Window's Remove Program app in the Control Panel.
If you used Studio_16 and the timings are what you used, send me your code and I'll pass this all on to the programmer and we'll get on with it.
This post is soooo well named! ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:50 pm 
Master

I have switched to studio 16.

I posted my code here
viewtopic.php?f=484&t=9145&start=15

I left the freqout commands in but commented out. Like this it works the way expected. When I let the freqout commands compile by un commenting I start to have problems with the uart.

I seem to be missing bytes when I use freqout. I connected a logic analizer and everything is being sent and received the way it should.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:01 am 
Master

I have a response from the programmer about your situation:
Quote:
Please ask him what Atom module he is using and what his circuit looks like. Also please ask him for a simplified version that shows the problem. There are actually at least two different codes in the link he references.

I told him the code he wanted was the second one in the post, but I can see where he's coming from. You have a LOT of code outside of your use of Freqout and UARTs. Cut everything out but those two commands, that is, minimize the code.
And say which Atom you are using and a general idea of the circuit in use.
Later.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:23 pm 
Master

Alright here is what I have. I have an Atom 24 rev b or c. I went through and added freqout to the SD routine (communication with UART). This worked with no problems. I then added the freqout to the GPS routine again no problems.

OK.. I had just went through and commented everything in the "main program" so maybe I had a typo. Nope no typo's. So I started from scratch. Combined gps routine and the sd routine and ran this. Again no problems. So I started adding more I added At_Rest_Readings And now I recieve some error/warning messages.

Code:
Message[306]   C:PROGRA~2BASICM~2BASICM~1systemmbasic14mbasicadin.lib 760 : Crossing page boundary -- ensure page bits are set.
Message[306]   C:PROGRA~2BASICM~2BASICM~1systemmbasic14mbasicadin.lib 763 : Crossing page boundary -- ensure page bits are set.
Message[306]   C:PROGRA~2BASICM~2BASICM~1systemmbasic14mbasicadin.lib 768 : Crossing page boundary -- ensure page bits are set.
Message[306]   C:PROGRA~2BASICM~2BASICM~1systemmbasic14mbasicadin.lib 773 : Crossing page boundary -- ensure page bits are set.
Message[306]   C:PROGRA~2BASICM~2BASICM~1systemmbasic14mbasicadin.lib 778 : Crossing page boundary -- ensure page bits are set.
Message[306]   C:PROGRA~2BASICM~2BASICM~1systemmbasic14mbasicadin.lib 783 : Crossing page boundary -- ensure page bits are set.
Message[306]   C:PROGRA~2BASICM~2BASICM~1systemmbasic14mbasicadin.lib 788 : Crossing page boundary -- ensure page bits are set.
Message[306]   C:PROGRA~2BASICM~2BASICM~1systemmbasic14mbasicadin.lib 793 : Crossing page boundary -- ensure page bits are set.

The program still works up to this point. One thing to note here is that I only get these messages if I am using the freqout command. If I comment the freqout commands then I do not get these messages.

With this still working I continued to add to it. I added At_Rest_Readings, Calculate_Threashold and Launch_detection. I still get the error messages but the program again works fine.

Now this is the point where I lose function. I can not add the remaining code without problems. I however do not receive the messages anymore. The problems being missed charecters from uart and program crashing right after the start of GPS initilization.

So in summary:

What are these error/warning messages? Why do I only get them if using freqout? Is this causing me to write over some program code?

All of my code works with no problems until I add freqout in any place or with any pin.

I have checked my circut by adding a buzzer to the expansion port of the pcb project. The buzzer works when tested on its own but I still have the same errors as above. The circut is just a buzzer with + connected to Atom pin and ground grounded.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:36 am 
Master

Hello Mike. I passed all this on to the programmer. Give him a day or two (typical) to respond. It could be longer if he's tied up in the move still.
FYI, Atom modules are either Rev B (uses PIC16F876A) or Rev E (uses PIC16F886). Studio is indifferent, it recognizes and programs them both.
Later.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:31 pm 
Site Admin

I'm not see what BasicMicro software version you are using. please let me know. Also does this code you posted below:

Code:
main:

freqout p0, 570, 1000
serout S_out, i9600, ["passed", 13]
pause 5000

goto main

Cause all the problems you are seeing?

The ADIN page boundary errors definietly could be causing a problem but I ened to confirm you are using the lastest Studio software. I've made several fixes in the last few Studio releases in regards to page boundary issues with ADIN.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:38 pm 
Master

I have updated to studio 16.

The code snip you posted is what I was using to debug freqout with studio 15. It is only one line that gives me a problem.

Code:
freqout 0,500,1000    'DurationNote

Now it only is a problem after I get the error/warning messages. This part runs fine.

Code:
E02      con      12338   'Buffer overrun
E03      con      12339   'No free files
E04      con      12340   'Unrecognized command
E06      con      12342   'Command formatting error
E07      con      12343   'End of file
E08      con      12344   'Card not inserted
E09      con      12345   'MMC/SD reset
E0A      con      12353   'Card write protected
EE6      con      17718   'Read only file
EE7      con      17719   'Not a file
EE8      con      17720   'Write falure
EEA      con      17729   'No freespace
EEB      con      17730   'File not open
EEC      con      17731   'Improper mode
EED      con      17732   'Invalid Open mode
EF1      con     17969   'Handle in use
EF2      con      17970   'File does not exist
EF4      con      17972   'File already exists   
EF5      con      17973   'Path invalid
EF6      con      17974   'Invalid handle
EFB      con      17986   'Bad FSINFO sector
EFC      con      17987   'Unsupported FAT version
EFD      con      17988   'Unsupported partition type
EFE      con      17989   'Bad partition information
EFF      con      17990   'Unknown error

combined     var word       'Combine 2 byte error code to word
stuff       var byte(2)      '2 byte error code from SD
check       var byte      'First charicter of error code
value1     var byte      'Error loop counter
index        var byte      'Error lookdown table index

baro         var  word      'ADC baro reading
accel        var    word      'ADC accel reading
counter    var  word     
counter1     var  byte

Accel_at_rest     var  word   'Accelrometer at rest reading
Baro_at_rest     var  word   'Baro at rest reading
threashold      var  word   'Liftoff detietion threashold

delta            var  sword      'Differance of accel reading and at rest reading
accel_float     var  float      'Floating point value from delta
gees          var  float      'Calculated gee 1 g = 5.6counts
acceleration   var  float      'Floating point value for Gees * 32.2 for ft/sec 9.8 m/sec
velocity      var  float      'Floating point value (Accel + velocity) * timestep

int_velocity        var Slong   'Interger value for velocity
int_acceleration     var slong   'Interger value for acceleration

GPS_status       var    byte(15)         'Set up array to store GPS Status data
Long_Nav       var  byte(57)        'Set up array to store GPS Long Nav. message   

index = 30                  'Set SD lookdown value to an out of bounds value

value1 = 0                  'Set variables to 0
counter1  = 0
Accel_at_rest = 0           
Baro_at_rest = 0

gees = 0.0       
acceleration = 0.0   
velocity = 0.0

'-------------------------------------SD Start up ------------------------------------------

enablehserial      'Enable hardware uart

sethserial h9600   'Set baud to 9600bps

hserstat 0         'Clear uart buffers     

serout S_out, i9600, ["Waiting for SD to initiliez", 13]

sdinit:

high 1                  'Power on SD (Positive logic control)
pause 500               'Pause for initilization

value1 = value1 + 1     

if value1 > 20 then gosub startuperror            'DIvide by 10 to get average If more than 10 tries reset SD

hserstat 4, sdinit                           'If no data goto sdint

hserin [check]                              'Read in byte from uart Sd sends > after valid command

If check <> ">" then sdinit                  'If not > then try again

serout S_out, i9600, [ "Start SD sync ", 13]      'Recived > ready to sync

SD_sync:

serout S_out, i9600, [ "SD sync ", 13]

hserout [27]                           'Send esc to SD(SD command to clear buffers)
value1 = 0           

waitcommand:

value1 = value1 + 1

if value1 > 20 then goto SD_sync            'If more then 20 tries and no data resend command

hserstat 4, waitcommand                    'If no data got to waitcommand

hserin [check]                           'Read in byte from uartSd sends > after valid command

serout S_out, i9600, [check, "   stsync", 13]

if check = ">" then                        'If byte = >  then no error
   hserstat 0                           'Clear uart buffers
   goto Config_SD_Settings

elseif check = "E"                     'If byte = E then error
   hserin [str stuff2]                     'Read in remaing 2 bytes of error code
   serout S_out, i9600, ["Error", 13]
   gosub errormessage

endif   

goto SD_sync

Config_SD_Settings:

serout S_out, i9600, ["Config SD", 13]
  hserout ["S 1 1", 13]                      'Change SD timeout to 100ms

gosub Check_Return_Command               'Check return command for >

Check_Status:

serout S_out, i9600, ["Check Status", 13]
hserout ["Z", 13]                        'Check status for missed error messages

waitcommand_Status:

hserstat 4, waitcommand_Status            'If no data present then loop

hserin [check]                           'Read in byte Sd sends > after valid command
  serout S_out, i9600, [check, "Status", 13]

if check = " " then                        'If byte = >  then no error
   goto Open_Files

elseif check = "E"                     'If byte = E then error
   hserin [str stuff2]                     'Read in remaing 2 bytes of error code
   gosub errormessage

endif

goto SD_sync

'-------------------------------------SD Start up Subroutines------------------------------------------

startuperror:

serout S_out, i9600, ["Startup Error", 13]

low 1            'Power off SD
  pause 500         
  high 1         'Power on SD
  value1 = 0

pause 500

return

errormessage:

serout S_out, i9600, [str stuff2, 13]

combined.lowbyte =  stuff(1)                'Combine 2 byte error code to word for lookdown comparison
  combined.highbyte =  stuff(0)

lookdown combined, =, [EEA, E08, E0A, E09, E03, EE6, EE7, EEB, EEC, EED, EF1, EF2, EF4, EF5, EF6, E02, E04, E06, E07, EE8, EFB, EFC, EFD, EFE, EFF ], index

serout S_out, i9600, [dec index,  " index", 13]

if index <= 3 then                             'Evaluate index and act accordingly
    serout S_out, i9600, ["Main Error", 13]
    goto SD_sync

elseif index <= 14
    serout S_out, i9600, ["File Error", 13]
    end

elseif index <= 17 
    serout S_out, i9600, ["Command Error", 13]
    end

elseif index <= 19 
    serout S_out, i9600, ["Write Error", 13]
    end

elseif index <= 24 
    serout S_out, i9600, ["Format Error", 13]
    end

elseif index = 30 
    serout S_out, i9600, ["No match", 13]
    goto SD_sync

endif

'----------------------------Sync Complet open files-----------------------------------

Open_Files:

serout S_out, i9600, [check, "open files", 13]

hserout ["O 2 W /Sensors.TXT", 13]               'Send command to SD to create Sensors in write mode

gosub Check_Return_Command                     'Check for > from SD

serout S_out, i9600, ["Sensor File Made", 13]

'freqout 0,500,1000    'DurationNote 
'freqout 0,1000,200    'DurationNote 

goto GPS_Main

'---------------------Open files sub routines------------------
  Check_Return_Command:

hserstat 4, Check_Return_Command            'Check uart for data if no data loop until data

hserin [check]                           'Read in byte Sd sends > after valid command

if check = ">" then                        'If byte = > then no error
   return

elseif check = "E"                  'If byte = E then error
   hserin [str stuff2]                  'Read in remaing 2 bytes of error code
   gosub errormessage

endif

goto SD_sync

'---------------------------------------Initilize GPS----------------------------------------

GPS_Main:

serout p7, i9600, [">QST<"]                  'Send command to gps to quiry Status

serin p6, i9600, [str GPS_status15]           'Read in and store responce

serout S_OUT, i9600, [str GPS_status15,13]   'Send Status out hardware serial port

Antenna_Fault:                           'Check for antenna fault

if GPS_status(6) = "0" then
   serout S_OUT, i9600, ["Antenna Good", 13]

elseif GPS_status(6) = "2"
   serout S_OUT, i9600, ["Feedline Open Fault", 13]
   goto GPS_Main

elseif  GPS_status(6) = "6"
   serout S_OUT, i9600, ["Feedline Short Fault", 13]
   goto GPS_Main

endif

if GPS_status(7) = "1" then                               'Check battery backup
   serout S_OUT, i9600, ["Battery Backup Failed", 13]

else
      serout S_OUT, i9600, ["No Problems", 13]

endif 

if GPS_status(11) = "0" then                              'Check RTC and Almanac
   serout S_OUT, i9600, ["No Problems", 13]

elseif GPS_status(11) = "2"
   serout S_OUT, i9600, ["RTC not available", 13]

elseif  GPS_status(11) = "8"
   serout S_OUT, i9600, ["Almanac not complete", 13]

elseif  GPS_status(11) = "A"
   serout S_OUT, i9600, ["No RTC or Almanac", 13]

endif

Tracking:                                      'Routine to monitor GPS until lock

if GPS_status(5) = "0" then
   serout S_OUT, i9600, ["Doing Position Fixes", 13]     'If doing fixes jump to GPS_Lock
    gosub GPS_LN                                'Quiry for starting location   
    goto GPS_Lock                               

elseif GPS_status(5) = "1"
   serout S_OUT, i9600, ["No GPS Time Yet", 13]

elseif  GPS_status(5) = "3"
   serout S_OUT, i9600, ["PDOP to High", 13]

elseif  GPS_status(5) = "8"
   serout S_OUT, i9600, ["No Usable Satalites", 13]

elseif  GPS_status(5) = "9"
   serout S_OUT, i9600, ["Only 1 Usable Satalite", 13]

elseif  GPS_status(5) = "A"
   serout S_OUT, i9600, ["Only 2 Usable Satalites", 13]

elseif  GPS_status(5) = "B"
   serout S_OUT, i9600, ["Only 3 Usable Satalites", 13]

elseif  GPS_status(5) = "C"
   serout S_OUT, i9600, ["Chosen Satalite is Unusable", 13]

endif

serout p7, i9600, [">QST<"]               'If no lock read in ST sentencen

serin p6, i9600, [str GPS_status15]        'Read in and store responce

pause 500

goto Tracking                        'Repeat until lock

'------------------------------------------Hardware Ready ---------------------------------------

'-------------------------At Rest Readings--------------------------

GPS_Lock:

serout S_out, i9600, ["Get AT rest and wait for liftoff", 13]

Up to here everything works fine I can use freqout with no issues. No warning messages.

Now this code was added:

Code:
At_Rest_Readings:

for counter = 1  to 10                  'Sample sensors 10 times and average for atrest reading

adin ax0, baro                        'Get baro ADC
adin ax1, accel                       'Get accel ADC   

Accel_at_rest = Accel_at_rest + accel      'Add current reading to previous readings
Baro_at_rest = Baro_at_rest + baro         'Add current reading to previous readings

serout S_out, i9600, [dec accel, " ", dec baro," ",  dec Accel_at_rest, " ", dec Baro_at_rest, 13]

next

Accel_at_rest = Accel_at_rest/10         'Divide by 10 to get average
Baro_at_rest = Baro_at_rest/10            'Divide by 10 to get average

serout S_out, i9600, [dec Accel_at_rest, " ", dec Baro_at_rest, 13]

Now I get the error message but program works so I added more

Code:
Calculate_Threashold:                  'Calculate launch detect threashold

threashold = Accel_at_rest - 6            'Subtract 1g(5.6 counts) from atrest reading

serout S_out, i9600, ["Threashold = ", dec threashold, 13]

'--------------------------Launch Detect--------------------

Launch_detection:

repeat                              'Reapeat until accel < threashold

adin ax1, accel                     'Read in accel ADC

serout S_out, i9600, ["No Launch ", 13]

until accel < threashold               'Compare to if theashold < accel loop

serout S_out, i9600, ["Liftoff", 13]

Still get warning message but program works. Now when I add anything else I run into prooblems if using freqout anywhere in the program.

Here is the rest of the code:

Code:
for counter = 1 to 500

adin ax0, baro                           'Get baro ADC
adin ax1, accel                        'Get accel ADC

delta = Accel_at_rest - accel               'Find differance between atrest and adc accel reading

accel_float = tofloat delta               'Convert delta interger to floating point 
gees = accel_float/5.6                     'Gees = acel counts / 5.6 counts per gee
acceleration = gees * 32.2                  'Accel = gees * 32.2 for ft/sec or 9.8 for m/sec
velocity = (velocity + acceleration) * 0.25   'velocity = (accel + velocity) * timestep

int_velocity = toint velocity               'Convert velocity float to interger
int_acceleration = toint acceleration         'Convert acceleration float to interger

hserout ["W 2", 13]                     'Send Write file 2 to SD

hserout [dec baro, ",", dec accel, ",", sdec int_acceleration,",", sdec int_velocity, 13, 10] 'Send data to SD

gosub Check_Return_Command                  'Check for > (SD return command)

if counter1 = 15 then                      'Quiry GPS once every 15 samples
  gosub GPS_LN

else
   counter1 = counter1 + 1

endif

next

serout S_out, i9600, ["Close File", 13]

hserout ["C 2", 13]                     'Send command to Close file 2 to SD

serout S_out, i9600, ["All Done", 13]

end

GPS_LN:

serout p7, i9600, [">QLN<"]                'Send command to gps to quiry Long Nav. message

serin p6, i9600, [str Long_Nav57]         'Read in and store responce

counter1 = 0
serout S_OUT, i9600, [str Long_Nav57,13]   'Send version out hardware serial port

Save_SD:

hserout ["W 2 58", 13]                     'Set SD to "W"rite file 2 "57" bytes

hserout [str Long_Nav57, 13, 10]                'Send bytes to write

return

I know time is of great value. So thank you for spending yours on me ;)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:28 pm 
Site Admin

Ok, the problem is not Freqout. It just happens that freqout is in the library before the ADIN command so when you added it it pushed the ADIN command to point in a page where it is getting split between pages at a bad place. I'll look into it and get the page handling fixed in ADIN.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:07 pm 
Master

See, Mike, it wasn't a waste of time at all! You found a bug for us! Give yourself a hug! :D (Just not in public! ;) )

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 8:52 pm 
Guru

This has re-appeared in 25? I get identical warnings for the mbasicadin.lib. I'm trying to use the ADIN command. Everything appears to work, I'm just getting the warnings.