BasicMicroUK - Forums

www.basicmicro.co.uk
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:40 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Bugs in firmware 4.1.2?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:53 am 
Citizen

We recently upgraded our RoboClaw 2x30A to firmware 4.1.2. Unfortunately we are not getting encoder readings with the Windows application OR with the Linux python example. With the python example, we're actually not able to read any values, thinking there might be something going on with the checksum. Can you please confirm that the encoder read functions are working as expected? We are using two US Digital quadrature encoders with 500 CPR optical discs.

Post subject: Re: Bugs in firmware 4.1.2?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:03 am 
New User

Hi there,

I'm also having problems reading encoders, though in my case I'm using potentiometers. Have you been able to run IonMotion http://downloads.orionrobotics.com/down ... Motion.zip with your board? In my case, launching IonMotion causes it to reset my RoboClaw's configuration and then immediately freeze and lock up. I have to kill it with task manager. Nathan has been looking into this but I wanted to know if others can even run IonMotion at all using firmware 4.1.2.

Regards,
JR

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:00 pm 
Site Admin

On the python example, it hasn't been updated yet so there may be a bug in it. I've been working on testing our new HV boards so haven't had a chance to look into it yet.

As for using encoders with the IonMotion software when you run IonMotion the first time you run it with 4.1.2(and maybe older firmwares) it doesn't properly read the settings on the boards and changes the encoder types and battery settings(but doesn't save them to eeprom). So unless you go into the general settings tab and change them to the correct settings you wont be able to read the encoders(if you are using quadrature encoders). Double check this is or isn't the problem and let me know.

Im working on a bug fix for the IonMotion software so I can finally make a general release.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:37 pm 
New User

Hello and thanks for your support.

I tried Ion Motion on Win2K, WinXp and Win8 and all locked up the program. I was finally able to make it work in Win8 by replacing the USB driver with a generic one from Atmel. For some reason, my Win8 machine did not download the driver automatically.

Thanks,
JR

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:11 pm 
New User

I am also having problems with the firmware v4.1.2. The IonMotion client seems to work but the Python example code doesn't seem to be able to read back the encoder positions, the current for the motors. Really any data read seems to be -1. Was there a protocol cchange in this firmware revision? 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:09 am 
New User

Never mind, I see there's another post about the error status command which changed the length of data it returns. This seems to be what changed.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:08 am 
Citizen

Bug fix in the other post fixed issues for me. Unfortunately I'm still not getting good encoder readings. Thinking it might be some connection issues with my encoder. Can anyone confirm that they have good readings with their encoders with the 4.1.2 firmware?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:23 pm 
Site Admin

We've tested the 4.1.2 firmware with 400cpr US Digital encoders without any issues. Speed is unlikely to be an issue since the hardware can handle millions of pulses per second. I was able to get my motor up over 180k counts per second but thats the fastest motor we currently have.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:42 am 
Citizen

Looks like things seem to be working well after verifying connections. We're doing about 120k pulses/sec max. with a US Digital E2 500 CPR disk.