BasicMicroUK - Forums

www.basicmicro.co.uk
It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:24 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: One chanel dead?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:40 am 
New User

Hi!

I am working on a project as a part of my masters exam where we have 2 roboclaw 2x5A to control a robotic arm to be mounted on a underwater ROV.

Sadly one of the chanels on one of the roboclaws have stopped working. I don't get any errors from the leds. And i've tried switching motors around with no sucess I've also looked over the code and tried everything. And the code is working with our other roboclaw so I suspect that the channel has gone bad.

3 of the motors are equipped with a worm gear to prevent the arm to move withouth input from the motor.

The chanel that has gone bad on the other hand has a motor that can be rotated by hand and i know it has been rotated by hand, the motors are geared 1:131 so my guess is that by rotating by hand we have induced current into the driver and therefore burnt the curcuit. Could this be the case?

And if this is the case is there a good way to prevent this from happening? A regular diode to prevent back current wouldn't be especially helpful since the motors needs to be able to run with both polaritys...

It would be great if someone could confirm my thesis and suggest how to protect the replacement roboclaw when i install it!

Best regards Nicklas Haraldsson

Post subject: Re: One chanel dead?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:39 pm 
Site Admin

Is the error LED coming on? If it isn't then most likely a mosfet failed in an open state. A closed short would cause the board to fail/over heat so you wouldn't be able to use the other channel either. The only way back driving the motor could cause the mosfet(s) to fail would be if you drove it fast enough to generate voltages above the mosfet rating(60v). You would need to check how high the voltage gets when you back drive your motor to se if that's actually a possibility or not.