BasicMicroUK - Forums

www.basicmicro.co.uk
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:38 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: RoboClaw 2x5A Driver Error
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:09 pm 
New User

I'm using two 2x5A RoboClaws and getting a confusing error. I'm trying to make a three wheeled robot, so one of my RoboClaws has two motors attached to it. When my robot moves, it moves fine for a bit and I get a "Driver Error" (according to the light pattern). The only thing I've found online is that it's an issue with the mosfet. However, the error only occurs on the RoboClaw that has two motors attached to it (for example, if I move the motor over to my second RoboClaw, the first RoboClaw is fine but the second errors out).

I do power my RoboClaw with 16 V batteries, but in order to protect my sensitive motors I have 12 V regulators between the batteries and the RoboClaw. So, that made me think there was an issue with the RoboClaw's built in regenerative braking (I'm guessing trying to charge batteries through a 12 V regulator isn't a good thing), but honestly I'm pretty stumped, since it seems Driver Errors are caused by voltage swings.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: RoboClaw 2x5A Driver Error
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:14 am 
Site Admin

HI

Please note that there is now a new forum for the Robo Claw range that you can find here :- http://forums.ionmc.com

Can you tell me the ratings of the regulator ?, it may well be that when driving two motors the peak current it taking the regulator in to current limit and its dropping the voltage and resetting the CPU on the Robo Claw board, maybe try running the Robo Claw on a 12 Volts battery just as a test and see if that solves the problem,

Keep us updated on the results,

I hope this helps,

Many thanks
Dave

BasicMicroUK
www.basicmicro.co.uk

Post subject: Re: RoboClaw 2x5A Driver Error
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:29 am 
New User

The voltage regulators I am currently using are Texas Instrument UA78M12 (http://www.ti.com/product/ua78m12) that are rated for 500 mA.

I think my motors are rated for 570 mA each (I'm using 012 SR on this datasheet: http://www.tassolarchallenge.org/pdf/Faulhaber2224.pdf), so I could see that being a problem if both motors were trying to pull that.

Thanks for the help!