BasicMicroUK - Forums

www.basicmicro.co.uk
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:40 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Inconsistent motor performance
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 8:51 pm 
Citizen

Hello,

I am having trouble getting my motors to be in sync and consistently firing. I am using a Roboclaw 2x60A with two FIRST CIM 12v DC brushed motors and I am using two 12 volt 100 amp PowerMax power supplies that are running in parallel to increase the amperage. (http://powermaxconverters.com/pm312volt.html) At first, I was using one of the power supplies, but the motors were not getting enough juice. Currently, they are working great about 80% of the time. I am controlling them using an Arduino Mega 2560 too.

Each motor is attached to its own channel. Is it safe to run the two motors off of the same channel on the RoboClaw? I wanted to check before I go burning up the motor controller or setting my project on fire.

Also, any ideas why I would be getting inconsistent performance? It's difficult to explain the project I am working on, but the best way I can describe it is a large catapult. The motors fire very quickly for a short amount of time.

Thanks for any help or advice!

- John

Post subject: Re: Inconsistent motor performance
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 9:09 pm 
Citizen

If I run the motors in series do I still use both channels also?

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 3:36 pm 
Citizen

Ok so I am currently running the motors in parallel, but that cut the amps in half. I need to fire both motors using one Arduino pin. I tried making a Y connector going from a digital Arduino pin to the S1 and S2 pins on the RoboClaw, but that did not seem to work because I got no response. Any ideas? Hello?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:58 pm 
Site Admin

If you are using an arduino already I suggest using packet serial with a Mixed command to start.stop both motors at the same time. Note that the motors speeds will still not necessarily match. With out feedback(eg encoders) the motor controller has no way of compensating for motor differences.

As for the Y adapter cable, we have never tested something like that. When I have a chance I will check it to see what could be happening.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:06 pm 
Citizen

Do I just wire it the same as shown under Simple Serial in the user guide? Also, can you send me an example of a mixed command to fire both motors at the same time?

Thanks for the help!

- John

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:03 pm 
Citizen

Nevermind. I found the diagram. I was unable to get the Packet Serial mode working :( I used the example code too.

What does "RoboClaw roboclaw(5,6);" do? Does that mean channel 1 is on pin 5 and channel 2 is on pin 6? So S1 should goto pin 5 and S2 should goto pin 6? Also, I keep getting power errors when I plug VCC and Ground from Arduino into the RoboClaw.

Last ditch effort....

I see that Simple Serial has one I/O wire, but still has two channels/motors. Would that solve my problem of firing the motors at the same time with one command?

- John

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:15 pm 
Site Admin

Packet Serial uses 2 pins, one to transmit and one to receive data. S1 is the pin you send commands to the roboclaw with and S2 is the pin you receive it back from. The init function, Roboclaw roboclaw(5,6), is telling the arduino that pin 5 will receive data back from the roboclaw and pin 6 will send commands to the roboclaw. Please read the manual section on packet serial.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:49 pm 
Citizen

I got it to work. I had something wrong with my code. Thanks man.