BasicMicroUK - Forums

www.basicmicro.co.uk
It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:25 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Windows 8.1 Compatibility
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 11:17 pm 
New User

I have a ACR32 micro-controller. I'm trying to get windows 8.1 to recognize the controller as a com port but its not working. I tried installing the windows 7 drivers manually but they aren't compatible. Is there a way to get Basic Micro IDE to recognize the controller or is this OS not supported yet?

Post subject: Re: Windows 8.1 Compatibility
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 3:13 pm 
Master

I personally have not tried on Windows 8 or 8.1. Do have a machine around here with it, but...

If the steps mentioned in their driver install did not work properly, I would try using the most recent FTDI driver available and see if that works.

If you look at the thread: atompro-f486/usb-drivers-not-working-windows-7-t9359.html
About 9 posts down you will see posting my Nathan (Acidtech), which probably is exactly the instructions in their zip file.

Again if that driver does not work, I would go to FTDI site and try the current versions: http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm
But still using the instructions that Nathan posted, except for the actual name of the driver files.

Kurt

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 3:11 am 
New User

I tried it with the FTDI drivers and when I try and install the port driver my computer completely crashes to the blue screen of death. I tried with version 2.10 for windows 32 and 64bit just for good measure (I have a 64 bit OS and it crash with both). Also I tried release 2.08 for windows 8.1 and I got the same crash too. Any more ideas?

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 2:13 pm 
Master

Sorry not sure what else to do. You might try emailing Nathan (Acidtech) to see if they have any suggestions. I think it is support@basicmicro.com, but you might also try Sales@basicmicro.com

Kurt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:02 pm 
Site Admin

I beleive your blue screen of death problem has so to do with something else. FTDI drivers are user mode drivers and cant cause a BSOD. I've never tried forcing FTDI drivers on a win8 machine(we dont run win8 at all here).

On windows 8 you have to disable driver signing checking to install the Basicmicro drivers. Fromt he boot menu. After you install the drivers and reboot driver signing will be reenabled.