BasicMicroUK - Forums

www.basicmicro.co.uk
It is currently Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:24 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Problem with Davinci board and Orion servo shield
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:45 pm 
New User

Hello guys ,

A lovely forum with lots of good info, well done.

I ordered a Blade hexapod from orionrobotics which happens to come with a Basicmicro Davinci board. http://www.orionrobotics.com/The-DaV...ble_p_274.html an Arduino Duemilanove (Atmega 328) compatible controller as i have come to learn.

Unfortunately, i have been banging my head the last 2 days.
Isnt the green LCD Power light on my Davinci board supposed to light up when i connect it via USB to my PC? It only comes on if i directly connect a 7.2 volt battery to it or if i have the Orion servo shield in place which is connected to a battery source.
Edit: I have just found out from another forum that the board is not designed to run on the USB 5v power only so i guess that answers the above question .

I have selected the correct ports and drivers.

Also, if i have the Orion servo shield in place and i try to run some of the test examples inn Arduino IDE , i can see the TX/Rx lights blink but thats it..nothing more.
The Hexapod manual states that you should hear a beep if you put it in calibration mode but i hear nothing.

Edit:I have succeeded in uploading the Blade calibration file with Arduino IDE but still nothing happens after i get the message upload successful. All other codes in the firmware get error messages from the Arduino IDE during compilation. :-(

Any help will be appreciated.

Regards from Denmark

Kenneth.

Post subject: Re: Problem with Davinci board and Orion servo shield
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:16 pm 
Master

Hi Kenneth,

Answered yesterday on Trossen Robotics.

Board is not powered by USB...

Calibration: I am assuming you now have the full Blade program loaded into the IDE and it was able to program your Davinci boad. Also assuming that Orion Servo shield came flashed with the Orion software on it. There is a link up on the Orion website for downloading the code, but that did not work for me yesterday and this morning site not responding, However I still have code from last April...

I believe that their documents talked a little about doing calibration mode? I think you can enter this a couple of different ways:
1) PS2 - press the select button
2) Press button B on the shield...

Once you enter calibrate mode, you press some other buttons to get you into different calibration modes:

1) The green button (triangle) gets you into calibrate center mode.
2) the blue button (X) gets you into calibrate the range.

I know the intent was that you could do in either order, but I found it only works correctly in one order, I believe center first, but could be wrong.

In Center mode:
lay out the robot flat on the ground, with I believe all of the legs on each side parallel with each other and hit the PS2 start button. I believe you will hear a beep.

In Range mode:
move all of the servos (by hand) through their minimum and maximum values... and then hit the start button. You should hear beep.

Once you have done both in the right order, I think you hit the red button (circle) which will exit this mode and save the new values...

When you are out of calibration mode hit start button and see if anything works...