BasicMicroUK - Forums

www.basicmicro.co.uk
It is currently Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:12 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: cannot find processor
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:39 am 
Citizen

HI all: I have been using BMstudio 2.0.0.18 on my laptop. Last friday I programmed my ba40 numerous times with no problems. Yesterday/Sunday it would not program. I get a communications error cannot find processor. I changed nothing on the laptop, just put it into sleep mode as I always do.
Today I tried a ba24 I have. It also will not program from the laptop. I get the message cannot find processor. I also tried searching for processor to no avail. In winxp device manager I tried enabling and disabling the comm port. I cold booted the laptop. I enabled and disabled the comm port in the bios. I tried various comm port speeds. I set the comm port to a different IRQ all to no avail.
I then tried the ba24 on an old laptop with win95 and IDE 2.2.1.1 It programs fine.
This tells me the serial cable is good at least.
I then installed Bmstudio onto a desktop computer. It also will not program the ba24.
I cannot get the ba40 to it because it is in a robot in my garage, and to large to drag up the stairs.(100 pounds)
So what the HECK is going on?
2 computer comm ports cannot be bad. The serial cable I presume is not bad as it programs the ba24 fine. I unfortunately cannot use the old IDE to program the robot because I need new commands in the new Bmstudio.
Both of these atoms are around 20 years old, but I cannot believe they are bad, and certainly the ba24 programs fine off the old software.
Any advice would be appreciated.
-Stampee

Post subject: Re: cannot find processor
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:53 pm 
Site Admin

What are you programming them in? One of our dev boards or something custom?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:06 am 
Citizen

I am using a direct db9 male/female serial cable from the comm port. the 40 pin atom has a db9 cable end tied directly to the serial input on the atom. The 24 pin atom is on a breadboard with a db9 and jumper wires to the atom serial inputs. I forgot that the 24 pin processor never did program using the new compiler, but the 40 pin was working fine programming it, up until a few days ago. I bought a new serial cable to no avail.
I doubt 2 computers comm ports have failed, and in fact they could not have because they still will program the 24 pin atom using the old IDE. I do not wish to attempt the old software programming the 40 pin because then I will ruin any program I have in there now and make the robot totally unusable.
-Stampee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:06 am 
Citizen

I am using a direct db9 male/female serial cable from the comm port. the 40 pin atom has a db9 cable end tied directly to the serial input on the atom. The 24 pin atom is on a breadboard with a db9 and jumper wires to the atom serial inputs. I forgot that the 24 pin processor never did program using the new compiler, but the 40 pin was working fine programming it, up until a few days ago. I bought a new serial cable to no avail.
I doubt 2 computers comm ports have failed, and in fact they could not have because they still will program the 24 pin atom using the old IDE. I do not wish to attempt the old software programming the 40 pin because then I will ruin any program I have in there now and make the robot totally unusable.
-Stampee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:52 am 
Citizen

I also have tried reset hold times in single increment values from 0-100
I set fifo buffers to both be at 14.
I really think something has happened to this 40 pin processor. I cannot imagine what else it may be. Once again, the 40 pin always worked on the new Bmstudios, the ba24's that I have never have worked. All previously worked on the old IDE. I do not however dare try to program the 40 pin on the old IDE as a test and screw what little program I have working in there at this time.
sighh...
-Stampee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:14 pm 
Site Admin

How did you program the Atom40 module before this?