BasicMicroUK - Forums

www.basicmicro.co.uk
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:43 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Basic Micros - Nomad Shield
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:21 am 
Master

Recently I noticed that Basic Micro had released a new Arduino Board (The DaVinci) and a few new Shields. So I thought I would get some of them and try them out. I know that they have not finished, the documentation for all of them them yet, so I thought I would post what I have found out (so far), in case others are also wanting to play with them :D...

Thought I would start with the Easy one, the Nomad. Currently I am trying it out on an UNO as I have an Orion Shield plugged into the The DaVinci.

First note: The first time I tried this to plug it into the UNO found the power connector shorted out on the Large USB connector on the UNO. So I cut them down and put some electrical tape in for this testing...

The shield has the features on these Arduino pins:
2 - Button B
3 - Sound
4 - Button A
7 - Button C
8 - Led C
A0 - Led A
A1 - Led B

It has 3 pin Headers for the Following Pins:
0, 1, 5, 6, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, A3, A4, A5

Not sure about A2...

Edit: A2 is 4:1 1 voltage divider to S+ (voltage pin)...

Kurt

Post subject: Re: Basic Micros - Nomad Shield
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:02 pm 
Master

I Now have started to use the DaVinci board as well and thought I would jot down a few things while they are fresh on my mind.

1) When I plugged the DaVinci board in to my Windows 7 64bit machine, it did not recognize the board like it does with normal Arduino boards. You need to manually install the FTDI driver (like you have to do with Arc32...). i.e. download the driver package (zip file) from Basic Micro website, extract the files from the zip files and follow the instructions in the file: Win7_64Bit_Alternative_Driver_Installation.txt

2) Board does not run off of USB power. You need to connect battery or Wall Wart...

Now on to playing with Orion board...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:06 am 
Site Admin

1. Only yours is like that Kurt. I assumed you'd be modifying the Orion library code so I set your davinicis YSB chip to BasicMicros ID so it would load the 1ms latency values. The FTDI defaults to 16ms which would require you to modify the setting in the device manager. All other Davinici boards will use the standard FTDI driver and if anyone want sto reprogram the orion they will just go in and adjust the latency.

2. Correct, we felt the added complexity wasnt worth it since our boards are designed primarily for use with robotics which will always need a power source.

We use a mini usb connector(maybe thats a micro connector) so the shields can't short out on the USB connector like some Arduino boards use so you will need to be careful when using our shields with other peoples arduino boards.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:37 pm 
Master

Thanks Nathan!