BasicMicroUK - Forums

www.basicmicro.co.uk
It is currently Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:54 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Newbie questions
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:56 pm 
New User

I have a VERY old Atom 24 (circa 2001) and a Rev B development board(serial connection). I'm running a Windows 7 laptop with no serial port(I do have a USB to DB9 dongle). I haven't had a use for it in many years so I'm quite rusty, but I'm going to take a crack at it for a simple control project . Will BM Studio work with this chip and dev board? If not, can I upgrade the chip "firmware" to work with it? Or do I need to use the old IDE and hope for the best with Windows 7 compatibility? If it won't work I'll upgrade, I don't want to re-learn the IDE when I should just upgrade to Studio, but I don't want to buy a new Atom and dev board if mine will work.................

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Newbie questions
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:17 am 
Master

Hello, maintenanceguy, welcome back.
Studio should recognize your old ATOM. Your dev board will PROBABLY work, with a proper USB adapter.
The USB-serial adapter is a question, however. It needs to support more than just TxD and RxD. Simple cables made just to talk to PDAs are made this way. Your adapter needs to produce DTR or RTS in order for Studio to reset and program your ATOM. Adapters with that capability can be had for less than $30. Do a search in the forums here, there have been threads about usable adapters before.
After you get that to work, throw away your old compiler manuals. A lot has changed in commands' syntax and timings. This is generally for the better, though. Use Studio's builtin guide, but be aware, it is written specifically for the Pro parts. There are some differences. If you use Nano app note codes and demos, though, you should be OK. These and the Nanos are based on the same PIC processors.
Have fun. :D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:33 am 
New User

Thanks, kenjj. After searching posts about the usb to serial adapter I think I may have an issue with the laptop ports being underpowered; I'll pick up a powered hub tomorrow and give it a shot again. Happy Labor Day weekend to everyone.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:12 am 
Master

Powered ports are not a concern, I'm thinking. You're not powering the dev board off the USB device, just getting serial signals. But you may need powered ports soon enough for other equipment, so it is probably a good idea to get one.
Have a nice project.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:26 pm 
Master

kenjj wrote:
Powered ports are not a concern, I'm thinking. You're not powering the dev board off the USB device, just getting serial signals. But you may need powered ports soon enough for other equipment, so it is probably a good idea to get one.
Have a nice project.

Hi Ken,
Just an FYI - There are some USB to serial adapters (BAFO) that I found did not work properly without a powered USB hub. This is especially true with many notebooks that may not provide power to the USB ports. Why? maybe the BAFOs prolific chip set needs more power? Not sure, but I still use it as it, as it programs my BAP chips at least twice as fast as the FTDI cables and/or onboard FTDI connections...

Kurt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:33 pm 
Master

Ah, yes, Kurt's right. I do sorta remember now reading some threads where this was found to be true.
OK, go for the powered hub and have at it

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:09 pm 
New User

Sorry, in the interest of brevity and not asking questions I could research myself (and I was tired) I didn't describe the entire problem. I'm having issues with both the IDE and Studio connecting to my Atom. Hence the powered USB hub comment. That makes kenjj's comment correct (based on the limited info he had), and KurtEck correct considering his experience with this issue (I read some old posts). No powered hubs available in my sleepy SW Washington town, so I'll hit a big box store later today and try again. Sorry I didn't post all the relevant info, I just like to do the research myself and ask questions only when I need to. I just needed the starting place (could I use the old Atom and dev. board w/ the new software and USB/serial converter) and I was having trouble with the answer to it. Now that that's answered, I'll move on and try to get it to connect. Thanks for the help everyone, you're a great bunch of guys. Its funny, i haven't been to this forum in years, but I still recognize a bunch of devoted followers. I'll update this when I get it worked out or need more help. Safe travels, if you're going to brave the highways this weekend. :D