www.basicmicro.co.uk
It is currently Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:48 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Cannot program the nano 28 with nano usb serial adapter
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:47 pm 
Citizen

Thanks for quick response Nathan.

I have W7 32 bit.

The computer does not recognize the Basic Atom Nano programming board unless I reinstall the drivers. After a while, the usb connection goes away.

I'll uninstall and reinstall everything again to be on the safe side, but I had trouble programming the chip even before the change to W7.

Any other things to try?

Thanks,

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:14 pm 
Site Admin

Until you get teh USB adapter to work properly(not disappear) then there is no way to diagnose the Nano chip. I'd guess there is a problem with the USB adapter and not the Nano chip. How are you connecting the Nano chip to the USB adapter. Usually when a USB device disappears its because the device is shorted out(assuming it isn't unplugged). This could indicate the way you are connecting it to the nano is the problem too. Also are you using a hub? If so is it a powered hub. If it isn't that could be the problem as well.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:25 pm 
Citizen

I attempted several ways to attach the nano to the usb adapter. First I tried to program it in a circuit board. I received the "BA Nano needs to be attached error". Next, I tried to build the circuit found in the BA Nano pdf file. I received the same result. Finally, I made the circuit attached in the middle of this thread. Still same results.

I attempted to plug the usb adapter into the computer with nothing else connected to it. The computer should at least find that adapter w/o the nano chip. NO JOY.

I reloaded the BA software. and configured it based on previous setup. I used the My First Program as in the manual and it compiled properly with no issues. All terminals are listed as not connected. If I manually connect the terninal and press EITHER program or debug, it automatically disconnects. Once again this points to the adapter or the drivers.

I am connecting the adapter directly to the computer as directed in the adapter manual.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:50 pm 
Master

crm6471,

Here is a dumb question…can you verify that this USB port functions correctly with other devices such as MP3 player or a printer (if you were able to program a Nano once and no changes were made to the Operating System including Microsoft/Antivirus updates then it should work all the time, that is why I suspect a hardware issue)? The only other issues I could think of would be a bad USB cable or bad Nano USB programmer. It also may be an O/S issue (see process below to follow).

I recently purchased a new Nano USB Programmer and new Nano-18 and the BM Studio software would not communicate with the Nano-18. I downloaded new drivers and finally discovered that I had to manually select the correct family of processor, model of processor as well at the correct Com Port (vs. using the “Auto” options).

If you are still having problems and no one else from the forum has any options for you this is what I would suggest (as if you have nothing else; this will take time and DON’T INSTALL ANYTHING ELSE UNTIL YOU GET TO THE END OF THIS PROCESS). Hopefully you have an extra computer you can use just for the programming of the Atoms/Nanos!

1) Backup all important files/data (including your bookmarks)
2) Erase the Hard Disk (be sure to erase the partition and create a new partition using the XP install program in next step)
3) Install Windows XP Professional and then install SP3 (sorry, just may work better than Windows-7)
4) Create a restore point (yes, I am an IT guy and this has saved me many times)
5) I am not sure what to install first; the BM Studio or the USB Drivers? KenJJ or AcidTech, insight here?
NOTE: Be sure to Download, extract and install the USB drivers (a lot of people just try to install compressed files that are part of the ZIP file which does not work).

Hopefully at this point you are able to program the Nano-28. Be sure to reinstall Anti-Virus ASAP after you are able to program the Nano-28.

Good luck-Brian

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:56 am 
Citizen

Thanks for the feedback, Brian.

I checked all my USB ports with other devices and they ALL work great - no issues. I did try another cable that I know works with all my other devices - NO JOY.

If there is an OS issue, then I'll have to use another controller because I am NOT going back to XP! I will try XP mode to see if that works, however.

I never use the auto functions in studio. I always set my family, model, and com port manually.

I have another W7 computer that I can install the drivers and program on. I'll try that also.

Thanks again,

Clarence

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:02 am 
Citizen

S U C C E S S ! ! ! ! !

Brian was right! I ran Studio in the XP Comp mode as well as the recommended Admin mode and I got the thing to program!!

YEA!!

Thanks for everyones help on this. What a learning experience!!

Clarence

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:11 am 
Master

Great news!

Chalk up another success for XP mode within Windows-7! Glad that you are finally able to program your Nano-28 successfully!

While the answers are usually buried somewhere here in the forum (which I admit at times it is hard to find what you are looking for) there is always Kenjj and Acidtech who are here posting demo code and helping people out by pointing them in the right directions (thanks guys).

Have fun!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:21 pm 
Site Admin

Good tip. I always forget about trying the compatibility modes under win 7. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:53 pm 
Master

Just to help clarify, are you saying that you ran the program in XP compatibility mode or are you saying you have installed the Virtual machines on Windows 7and you are running studio in a virtual machine that is running in XP mode?

Thanks
Kurt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:54 pm 
Citizen

I just set the xp comp mode on for the BM Stusio software in W7. All works great! I reprogrammed the chip 3 times with NO issues.

Happy Camper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:57 pm 
Master

Kurt,

Within Windows-7 there is an OPTION to run what is called Windows XP Compatibility Mode. In order to run this option you must have a motherboard and processor that support V/T technology (even the newest PCs may not support this option due to limits in the BIOS of the motherboards). Additionally you will need to visit the Microsoft site and download this option (I believe it is basically a special version of Virtual PC optimized to use V/T technology and to run within Windows-7).

Here is a link to learn more: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/window ... -mode.aspx

Using the VMware Workstation (as well as Microsoft’s Virtual PC) may yield the same results as the Windows-7 solution and it does not require the use of V/T technology so you may be able to use it on hardware that is 3 to 5 years old. I don’t have much experience with VMware Workstation but I do run a home network (and teach) using VMware’s server-based products (the ESXi version is a free download with no end time) and found it to be rock solid (not to sound like a commercial); I would assume that the workstation product would also be just as stable.

Hope this clears up any questions-Brian

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:53 pm 
Master

Thanks guys,

Yep, I understood the differences, I was just trying to verify if crm6471 had to resort to Virtual machines (XP Compatibility mode), IE the sledgehammer approach, or if he could simply tell the application in compatibility mode.

To simply run the app in compatibility mode. You simply have to find the application (can use the shortcut in the Start menu for this). Right click and choose properties menu item for the exe, Click on the Compatibility Tab and choose to run the application in Compatibility mode for ..., Choose something like run for Windows XP SP3 and apply the changes. Again I believe this is what he said was sufficient

Versus using the Windows 7 Compatibility option which as you mentioned requires support from your bios. It also requires you to download and install a virtual PC software package and then download and install the Windows XP compatibility mode. And then finally launch studio from the XP virtual machine. This is all great stuff, but I am glad that he did not need to go to this.

Kurt