BasicMicroUK - Forums

www.basicmicro.co.uk
It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:04 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: IDE 2.1.1 Compile Error: Could not get Memory Usage
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:43 am 
New User

I am trying to use some programs that I wrote for the OEM Atom 24 several years back. At first, IDE 2.1.1 seemed to have trouble detecting the Atom and would not compile or program. After downloading and installing IDE 2.1.1 again, it detected the Atom but the Compile fails with a DOS Error and the "Could not get Memory Usage" Error in the Tokenizing process. The Atom appears to be running the last program which was loaded three years ago and responds to the Terminal window commands.

Thanks. ko6no
--

Post subject: Re: IDE 2.1.1 Compile Error: Could not get Memory Usage
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:19 pm 
Site Admin

I suspect it's because you are using a newer OS then back then or don't have admin privledges. You may need to uninstall and then install into a directory that is not protected by Windows. Program Files is now protected by Windows(Vista and Win7) so a program can not write to that directory without admin privledges enabled, which the old compilers required.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:02 pm 
New User

Acidtech wrote:
I suspect it's because you are using a newer OS then back then or don't have admin privledges. You may need to uninstall and then install into a directory that is not protected by Windows. Program Files is now protected by Windows(Vista and Win7) so a program can not write to that directory without admin privledges enabled, which the old compilers required.

Thanks. The OS is still Windows XP. Of course, there have been lots of Windows updates and maybe a Service Pack since then. But I do run in the Administrative account and have write access to \Program Files. The problem is that the error message in IDE 2.1.1 doesn't indicate the file path for the missing file. I have uninstalled IDE and re-installed on two computers and get the same results.
-ko6no-
--

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:18 pm 
Site Admin

I am assuming you are using 2.2.1.1 IDE but let me confirm this.

The error you are getting is caused by the assembler not being able to write the .lst file. I still suggest reinstalling to a different directory. Preferably something simple like c:\test. Also I suggest moving the bas file to a different directory. Again c:\test would be a good place. Then try compiling it again. Very long file paths especially ones with spaces in the paths haev been known to cause problems.

If none of this works you will have to move up to BasicMicro Studio and update your program code. :(

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:31 am 
New User

Acidtech wrote:
I am assuming you are using 2.2.1.1 IDE but let me confirm this.

The error you are getting is caused by the assembler not being able to write the .lst file. I still suggest reinstalling to a different directory. Preferably something simple like c:\test. Also I suggest moving the bas file to a different directory. Again c:\test would be a good place. Then try compiling it again. Very long file paths especially ones with spaces in the paths haev been known to cause problems.

If none of this works you will have to move up to BasicMicro Studio and update your program code. :(

Thanks. It's fixed. There were probably two problems. I had the source files at the end of a long path, for sure, which caused the compile error. The other problem was that sometimes the IDE could not find the hardware. I broke out the schematic and checked some IC pins. Intermittent voltage on the MAX232 Vcc pin, although there was 5 Volts on the VDD buss. Found cold solder joint on IC pin and re-soldered. RS232 to PC is OK. I moved the source file folder to the Desktop and Compile/Program is successful. Too bad that I fixed this after the need for the program is over. I wanted to check some TTL chips with the programs I wrote. Had to check the chips in a prototype board.

Thanks for your suggestions. By the way, I tried the Basic Micro Studio but it also could not find the hardware. I'll try it again now that the ATOM is working. Is it supposed to work with the OEM Atom? I suppose I could try the ATOM 24 setting.

73. -ko6no-
--

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:17 am 
Master

Hi. My experience with earlier Studios (pre -20) is that it worked with OEM board versions going on 4 to 5 years old. My boards have the 28-pin interpreter chips on them, PIC16F876s.
'luck with your project.